Friday 27 November 2015

First World Problem I

Recently, I've found myself thinking:

I've always loved ideas and concepts, ideal things... things which are beyond the every day physical experience, things which are 'out there' but at the same anyone with a mind can access. I love spending time thinking, reading, contemplating, and writing about these ideas, puzzles, theories. And yet, the everyday work-life seems to be pulling me in the other direction, drawing me towards the mundane, towards the routine, the boring: bills, household chores, groceries, calendars, commuting, to-read lists, to-do lists, etc. It's bloody endless. 

Every now and then, I'd try to focus and to read, to think - properly, like I'd used to. But one must admit, it does take a good amount of willpower and discipline to 'find the time', or to somehow incorporate these simple activities into one's working life. You're only five minutes into a book, and then you realise there's something meaningless and boring you have to do... this calls for this, surely: 

 

Frustrating it is, yet I am sure there is another way of living life where you can live an intellectual, mindful life whilst balanced against the great pull from the mundane tides of life. I am almost certain that many had, and have faced the same struggle as they go on to write all these great books and accomplish all these great things. How did/do people cope? Is it money? Sheer willpower? Or some magic time-management golden rule?

...

But isn't it almost immoral, to complain about a 'first-world problem' when others are facing life-critical 'mundane' problems, like poverty or disease? What possible rejoinder can I possibly come up with, to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment